Cats of the world

Monday, October 30, 2006

Week 4 Rss Task 9

October 31st

This week we're looking at newsfeeds

I started with Bloglines using the search term ‘cats’. However I soon discovered that it picks up both relevant and irrelevant sites with the world ‘cats’ in it presumbly because it is searching in all fields. This is like using a search engine on the Internet and needs to be further refined. I had the same problem with Feedster. Topix.net wasn’t much help either however I did like its one year memory of results (which can be helpful if you’re looking for something that was in the news months ago). I didn’t think much of the layout of Syndic8. Random headlines, ramdom feeds, approved feeds, where do you start.

I was interested in the fact that each search tool produced different results. No one blog was to be found searching with another search tool. However this may be due to the generic and simple nature of my search term and reflects my lack of experience searching blogs. But having said that I often find multiple entries for sites in different search engines when looking for websites.

And I havn't even mentioned cats since week one. Hopefully the photo sharing technology we're going to look at in coming weeks will change that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home